Sunday, December 8, 2013

THE JOURNEY - Editing!!!!!!!


I'm consistently asked these two questions. One - When is your next book coming out.? Two - What's the process for getting a book into publication?

Well, I'm proud to say that I have an answer for question number one. Through the Fire, the sequel to Business Unusual, releases in 2014.

As for the process question, it will take up more space to adequately answer than you want to read in one sitting. Instead, I made a decision, (actually I was bullied into this by some so-called friends and supporters). Instead of hosting a blog class, I'm taking you all on the journey with me.

What this means is that once a month I'm giving you updates on what I went through to get this book into publication. You'll get to see my triumphs, my pitfalls and at times, my less than stellar personality.

That said, let me bring you up to speed as to where I'm at in this process and how I got here.

Editing. I’m currently in the third phase of editing. The first phase began with my critique group.

After the first draft I took a look at the characters I’d created. I then revisited my character's professions and highlighted processes that are key to the story. Next I assembled a group of those who could lend authenticity to my work. Love this group because I got to bounce ideas off of them and receive feedback. I also didn’t like them for periods of time because they challenged me in ways I didn't appreciate. I'll give you an example.

There's a scene that includes a 911 call, an arrest, being processed into the system and an arraignment. I was so proud of it. That was until the 911 dispatcher, police officer and homicide detective tore it apart.

What? I was offended. I’ve been watching Law & Order (the original and every spin off for years). How was I to know that what they show you on television isn't true? Sheesh.

Now this was just the beginning. After I got my act together and did some serious research each member of my assembled group gave me their seal of approval.
 
Next I had to engage the content/developmental editor.
 
Here's where you really know that you need fresh eyes. Writing requires multiple rewrites. In that process one can easily make small, large and sloppy errors. Since I promised to be real I'll share a couple of mine.
 
Cut and paste. I would move a sentence from one place to other. The problem was, I'd somehow miss the punctuation. I promise you I had extra periods all over the place. Also, I didn't use the find option as well as I should have. You need this if you've changed the name of a character, place or thing. If you don't and you don't catch your changes, I promise, your editor will want to know who Jerri, Jerry and Jeri are. I could go on, but I must preserve my reputation.

Now, we've arrived at my current destination, copy editing. I so love my editor, but not at the moment. We've hashed out a majority of the returned comments. Now I really have to roll up my sleeves and get the edits done on what remains.

Bottom line short, the editing process is not for the faint of heart. It is however one of the most important and time-consuming steps in the writing process.

Now that I've shared, I need to get back to work. I have a deadline to meet and editors expect you to meet them. But between you and me, check back soon because I'll have some sidebars to slip between the monthly updates. 

Until next time – remember to use your words to bear good fruit!
 
 
Linda!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment