Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Journey: Sidebar


Hey, don’t tell my editor that I’m not working on my edits right now. It’s been a bear, I’m making my way through, but I need a break.

 
So, since the last time I shared about the writing process, I've had to juggle that with prep for pre and post release promotions.  Love my team because they've created a great plan. Some I like some I don’t. One that appealed to me is the photo-shoot. I pulled out my camera and was ready to roll. Well, that didn’t set well with them. I knew that because they wouldn’t stop laughing until I threatened to walk out.

 
Hurt feelings set aside I listened to them and now I’m sharing with you.

 
Selfies, those spontaneous cute pics we take of ourselves are okay to post on our FB or blogs. However, when you’re running a business (and yes publishing a book is a business), you need to put your best self forward. That begins by enlisting the services of a professional photographer. It also requires you spending hours in a studio or on location.

 
Why? Because the photo-shoot is more than getting glammed up and striking a few poses.

 
Before we set up the shoot we had to look at the duration of the book campaign. This shoot had to include photos appropriate for all seasons of the promotion. Included on the list of needs are photos for the website, media kit, speaker/conference bio, print articles and much more.



That meant I needed clothing and accessories that ranged from business to casual and suitable for any holidays that fell in between. I’m not a big makeup person so that also had to be made clear. Most of all I needed the shots to portray the real me, therefore location/backdrops had to reflect that as well. 
 
And here’s a big SIDENOTE. Don’t change the color of your hair after the shoot. Yes, I did that (note this pic and the one in the banner). Yes we had to setup a second shoot.
 
Okay, I’ve got to get back to work. Talk to you soon.
 
  
Until then, remember to use your words to bear good fruit.

 

Linda!
 

 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment