Wednesday, April 17, 2013

FROM THE WRITER'S WELL



FROM THE WRITER'S WELL

 
Have you considered writing a book? Congratulations, you’re not alone.
When I began discussing my idea for the book I set out to write, there was interest. It pleased me, but I didn’t get the spark of interest I had hoped to receive from my soon to be peers. It wasn’t until I attended several writing classes that I caught on.
It wasn’t that people weren’t interested. It was more that I had presented the often told tale. In other words, I had yet to possess the story; make it mine.
What does that mean?
In simple terms I’ll explain what became one of my greatest writing assets--the ‘what if’ factor.
There’s no story written that hasn’t been told before. For example, boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy fights to get girl back. It's a storyline most enjoy, but--what if? What if you could take that often told tale and make it stand out in a way that would compel the reader to reread and recommend to others?
The job of the writer is to create a story that is so uniquely yours that readers can't help but take notice. That tailor-made story with its unique qualities is defined as the ‘what if’ factor. But inserting the twist alone isn't enough. The savvy writer will take the time to make sure that the twist is plausible, thought-provoking and entertaining.

Tip --Revisit a few books that you've truly enjoyed. Write down why you liked them and why you would or have recommended them to others. Write out at least two different ways you would have turned the plot had you been the author. Honestly view those thoughts and then determine how you could use that process to write a work that is unique from others.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. You are invited to return often to partake of information from Wednesday's Writer's Well. 



1 comment: