Friday, April 17, 2015

MARKETING--Isn't That for Groceries?

When I was creating the strategy for my first book I enrolled in a class geared toward the business side of writing. I enjoyed all that was being taught until the 'M' word rolled off the facilitator's tongue.
 
Marketing.   
 
I leaned in and pretended that I hadn't heard what had been said.
 
Marketing, she couldn't be talking about a subject I dreaded on a good day. As far as I was concerned marketing was for groceries, and anyone who knew me, knew about my aversion to the grocery store and cooking on a regular basis.
 
My saving grace was that the woman didn't know me and gave me what I needed in spite of my self-proclaimed and unresolved issue. In an emphatic voice she told the class that unless our goal was to keep our books on our own shelves, we had to have a marketing strategy.
 
Over the next hour she filled our heads with must-do and never-do tips to help us create our very own plan for pre and post release promotions. Initially I looked at it as another burdensome task, like going to the market. In time I found myself adjusting because my goal was to get my books into your hands.
 
 
Linda!

4 comments:

  1. Though, like you, I too avoid any mention of of marketing, I really wish I could have been in that class with you. Marketing is the bugaboo, bane, of my existence. I wish I could hire someone to do it for me! Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Lisa. Marketing is certainly a time-consuming, but very vital component of our business. Check out LaShaunda Hoffman at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SYOTNWorkshop/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526899444214916/ She has some fabulous ways of helping to simplify online marketing.

    Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to conveniently ignore marketing too, but now I'm facing that challenge head-on. LaShaunda Hoffman is definitely a great help along those lines :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting me here Maurice. Marketing is such a huge part of publishing. Glad that you're facing it 'head on'.

    Linda!

    ReplyDelete