Thursday, April 9, 2015

THE POWER OF THE GORGEOUS BOOK COVER

How many times have you looked at a book and passed it by due to lack of eye appeal? How often have you been drawn to and even purchased a book because of the gorgeous cover?
 
As human beings we're naturally drawn to things that are attractive. That's not to say that everything attractive is a good thing. But, human nature proves that the majority of society is drawn to what they find attractive.
 
I've reviewed books for many years. Along the way I've surveyed readers about what helped them decide what would provoke them to purchase. The majority response they gave is as follows:
 
  • An appealing cover
  • Intriguing back cover blurb
  • The mid-book test
 
As writers please consider the three tips above when preparing the cover for your book.  A gorgeous/eye-appealing cover could make a huge difference to a potential reader.
 
 
 
Linda!

2 comments:

  1. J here, stopping by from the #atozchallenge - where I am part of the A to Z Ambassador Team! (I'm a minion/volunteer under Arlee.)
    Great post. I'm looking forward to more. Let me know if I can help you in any blogging way this month. I've followed you on your listed social media sites.
    @JLenniDorner

    Very true. There are covers that have made me think "this isn't something I'd enjoy." I'd like to be above judging a book by the cover, but it is still true, it happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All very true, a great cover gives an initial impression of quality. And I want to know more about the mid-book test?

    ReplyDelete